<Almost / Nearly / Practically etc> + negative statements

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
Please have a look on my examples below and let me know what would be your pick(s) out of all my listed adverbs and why?

Example #1:

> - Last night I drove to the grand central station area. Despite my beliefs, fortunately, there was __________ no traffic.

a. almost
b. nearly
c. practically
d. roughly
e. approximately

Example #2:

> - Natalia has been really busy since 6 months ago. She leaves home ‪at 6 a.m.‬ and comes home just to sleep around 11 p.m.. She's__________ never at home.

a. almost
b. nearly
c. practically
d. roughly
e. approximately

In both examples above, I believe that the first three choices mean equally the same think (just the choice “c” as dictionaries have mentioned is a bit informal sounding.) Nevertheless, I’m not quite sure if the other options (“d” and “e”) work properly or not. I was wondering if you could give me a hand to find out which choice works correctly in each example and which one doesn’t?

P.S. I just need to find the words that work. If it requires a long answer, please just let me know about the correct words. I will try to find their proper meanings by comparison.

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    In #1, a and c would work, and in #2, a would work.

(Your sentences contain oddities/errors, but we can't proofread here.)
    Thank you heypresto
    Just could you possibly explain why in #2 "practically" doesn't work?
    Also, in orther to make sure if I got the point, may I provide you with some examples here just to check out if "nearly" works/doesn't work there? (That would help me a lot to decide about its proper meaning in Farsi heypresto and would be a huge help.)

< Previous | Next >