Almost one-fifth of American children and teenagers are overweight

< Previous | Next >

ryooster

Korean
Dear all,
I an not good at using preposition.
For example in the following sentence I think that "Among" is more suitable than "of"
How can I distinguish it easily?

Sentence: Almost one-fifth of American children and teenagers are overweight

• ryooster

Korean
    Dear all,
    Also in the following two sentences, some people use "for" whereas some people use "of"
    Is there any way to good at preposition. Preposition is so confusing to me.

sentence1: Researchers in the U.S. suggest possible causes for a 150 percent jump between 1997 and 2007.
    sentence2: The researchers did not try to identify the causes of the increase, but they have some theories.

Thanks in advance

ryooster

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Sorry, English prepositions just are very confusing - I'm pretty sure they must be the hardest part of the language to learn. In sentence 1, you could also say 'of'; perhaps in sentence 2 you could say 'for', but it doesn't sound quite as good. I don't know why!

ryooster

Korean
    Then anyway you mean using "of" is more common and sound good to someone when we use "cause"? Right?

Thnaks in advance

LV4-26

I don't know why!
    I may have an idea.

In sentence 2, if you replace the (in the causes) by :) with* an undefinite article or determiner, I think for can then be used again.

The researchers did not try to identify causes for the increase, but they have some theories.

The researchers did not try to identify any causes for the increase, but they have some theories.

No?
    EDIT: Just to elaborate a bit: it seems of prefers a definite article and for an undefinite one.

*I swear I didn't make the mistake just because the topic was about prepositions.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >