Almost vs Barely

Mickysky

Korean
Almost vs Barely
Ex 1-1) You almost killed me! (but not killed)
Ex 1-2) I barely killed him. (but killed)
Ex 2-1) Q) Where are you? A) So sorry, almost arrived.
Ex 2-2) Q) Where are you? A) So sorry, barely arrived.

Dear Members
I understood the meaning of the example sencences 1-1 & 1-2.
However, what different meaning is there between Ex 2-1 & 2-2?
Those are the same meaning?
Your opinions and teaching would be appreciated.
Micky

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Hello...
    Well, "barely arrived" makes sense? It means that I am not arriving yet, and am still far from the destination?

Why would it mean that? I told you that "barely" means that something has happened, so it follows that someone who has "barely arrived" has arrived.

Mickysky

Korean
    Why would it mean that? I told you that "barely" means that something has happened, so it follows that someone who has "barely arrived" has arrived.
    Oh...Sorry...Then I can say like below...
    "Where are you? Why are you so late for our meeting? --> So sorry, barely arrived and see you in a minute."

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I would avoid "barely" in this context Micky.

It's easier to say:
    So sorry, I just arrived ... see you in a minute.
    So sorry, I just got here ... see you in a few. (few = slang)

Mickysky

Korean
    I would avoid "barely" in this context Micky.

It's easier to say:
    So sorry, I just arrived ... see you in a minute.
    So sorry, I just got here ... see you in a few. (few = slang)
    Hi, Perpend...
    It's the case of the present perfect.
    But real my intention to say "almost or barely" is that I am still on the way and will be arriving at the place. And on the phone, I like to say to my colleagues like below.
    "So sorry, almost (or barely) arrived and will see you soon..."
    How do you feel about it?
    Great thanks~

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I'd say:
    So sorry---I'm just about to arrive and will see you soon.
    So sorry---I'm arriving just now and will see you soon

Mickysky

Korean
    I'd say:
    So sorry---I'm just about to arrive and will see you soon.
    So sorry---I'm arriving just now and will see you soon
    Hi Perpend, Thanks for the teaching.
    Don't you have ideas using "almost" to express the meaning of "be about to arrive" in my proposed sentences?

MarcB

US English
    Hi Perpend, Thanks for the teaching.
    Don't you have ideas using "almost" to express the meaning of "be about to arrive" in my proposed sentences?
    The phrases do not sound natural. If you insist on using almost you could say I am almost there. For barely,these are better: I just got here or I just arrived.You could say I barely got here and they want me to start the meeting already.

Mickysky

Korean
    The phrases do not sound natural. If you insist on using almost you could say I am almost there. For barely,these are better: I just got here or I just arrived.You could say I barely got here and they want me to start the meeting already.
    Thank you so much for your explanation for the phrases...
    "I'm almost there...Please wait for me in a few..." This will be the best expression I think. Am I reight?

Rejsi

US
    English - US (Midwest)
    Thank you so much for your explanation for the phrases...
    "I'm almost there...Please wait for me in a few..." This will be the best expression I think. Am I reight?
    Well no. "I'm almost there" is correct. "Please wait for me in a few" is incorrect. For this part, try "Please wait for me. I'll be there in a few." or "Please wait for me. I'll be there in a minute."

Mickysky

Korean
    Well no. "I'm almost there" is correct. "Please wait for me in a few" is incorrect. For this part, try "Please wait for me. I'll be there in a few." or "Please wait for me. I'll be there in a minute."
    Great thanks, Rejsi...How about this: "I am almost there, please wait a bit more (for me? my arrival?)".

Rejsi

US
    English - US (Midwest)
    Hmm...I'm not too sure about that one. It doesn't sound very natural to me. "I'm almost there. Please wait a bit longer" sounds better.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Great thanks, Rejsi...How about this: "I am almost there, please wait a bit more (for me? my arrival?)".
    I agree with Rejsi that it's not the most natural, but it's correct and fine. I might jazz it up with a "just".

I am almost there, please wait just a bit/little more (until I arrive).

Mickysky

Korean
    Thank you all for the teaching me....
    Have a great and fantastice day ahead! (If this wording is also not correct, please kindly let me know your correction...^^^)

Rejsi

US
    English - US (Midwest)
    Thank you all for the teaching me....
    Have a great and fantastice day ahead! (If this wording is also not correct, please kindly let me know your correction...^^^)
    Thanks, you too! The wording is correct, but you made a small typo. There is no "e" in "fantastic." :)

< Previous | Next >