along one of its four sides, and wipes the surface clean

< Previous | Next >

alice2010

Cantonese
The sentence is :
"The seal element engages the surface of the spindle along one of its four sides, and wipes the surface clean of oil or other material when the quad-ring and thrust ring are together forced axially along the spindle."

My understanding is :
"One of its (referring to the seal element) four sides engages the surface of the spindle; when applying axial force to the quad-ring and thrust ring along the spindle, the seal element will wipe the oil or other materia on the spindle surface."

Can anyone tell me whether my understanding is right or wrong? Thank you!

Last edited:
  • panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It is probably a fair assumption that the spindle is cylindrical and therefore does not have four sides. I think it is the seal that is rectangular in cross section and alice's understanding is correct.

alice2010

Cantonese
    It is probably a fair assumption that the spindle is cylindrical and therefore does not have four sides. I think it is the seal that is rectangular in cross section and alice's understanding is correct.
    Thank you for your help.
    But what about the other half of this sentence :
    when applying axial force to the quad-ring and thrust ring along the spindle, the seal element will wipe the oil or other materia on the spindle surface.
    OR
    when the quad-ring and thrust ring are together forced to move axially along the spindle, the seal element will wipe the oil or other materia on the spindle surface.
    Do you think which understanding is correct?
    Thank you!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    I guess that the quad-ring and thrust ring are part of a single assembly and they include the seal.
    Your second sentence is better, but look again at the second part of the sentence and the original. The seal wipes the spindle surface clean of oil or other material - in other words the seal wipes oil or other material off the spindle surface, not on.

I choose the second sentence because "when ... are together forced" is not the same as "when applying axial force to...", and it is closer to the original.

alice2010

Cantonese
    I guess that the quad-ring and thrust ring are part of a single assembly and they include the seal.
    Your second sentence is better, but look again at the second part of the sentence and the original. The seal wipes the spindle surface clean of oil or other material - in other words the seal wipes oil or other material off the spindle surface, not on.

I choose the second sentence because "when ... are together forced" is not the same as "when applying axial force to...", and it is closer to the original.
    Thank you very much. The quad-ring sealing member and the thrust ring are two parts of a thrust element. And the thrust element is part of a hydraustatic seal.

alice2010

Cantonese

About "...be together forced axially along the spindle", can we say that "there is a force applied to the quad-ring and thrust ring together, and then quad-ring and thrust ring move axially along the spindle"??
    Thank you!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    Full text HERE.
    I don't think that properly represents the original.
    The seal is designed so that it is possible for it to move axially along the spindle when a force is applied. If you say "there is a force applied..." it suggests that this is an essential feature of the use of the seal. It isn't.

< Previous | Next >