along with district officers...

< Previous | Next >

Simin93

Persian-Iran
Hi there
Could you please correct me? I think the underlined part says: Provincial police, district officers, cattle registration, works on the land and registration for military service began. Although I write what I understand, it doesn't make sense to me:confused:

Provincial police began to appear, along with district officers and cattle registration and land deeds and registration for compulsory military service. Village handicrafts diminished or died out completely as people bought imported consumer goods, like cloth and tools, instead of making them themselves.

Reference: Sample of TOEFL Exam

Thank you in advance

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    Many changes took place in Thailand around the beginning of the 20th century. This sentence lists five things that began to appear:
    1. Provincial police
    2. District officers
    3. Cattle registration
    4. Land deeds
    5. Registration for compulsory military service
    Note that a land deed is not related to working. A land deed is a legal document that says who owns a certain piece of land.

There were also other changes, such as the diminishing or dying out of village handicrafts.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Provincial police began to appear for the first time in history, along with and at the same time there appeared for the first time district officers and cattle registration and land deeds and registration for compulsory military service.

"along with" doesn't mean those things appeared with each other, but rather during the same time frame. Those were all new things at that time in their history.

< Previous | Next >