Alongside

Lt.Data

Turkish
Hello,
I will be happy if you can check the usage of the phrase below:

alongside (Here there are three types of buildings: Inns, baths, and masjids)

On condition that the roads connecting the cities were safe, the inns with their castle-like appearance and their ornaments giving rich stone workmanship examples were prominent buildings having economic contributions and meeting different needs alongside baths and masjid buildings.

Thank you in advace.

<Additional question has been moved to new thread by moderator (Florentia52)>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    I cannot be sure from your sentence whether you mean that the inns were physically located alongside baths and masjid buildings on the road, or whether you mean that they made economic contributions and met different needs along with baths and masjid buildings. Alongside is normally used only for physical location.

Lt.Data

Turkish
    Hello. Thank you for your answer. I did not mean physically located. I wanted to emphasize economically, socially etc. Can you please advise?

Lt.Data

Turkish
    Hello, thank you for your answer.
    The story is about trade 1000 years ago. I mean that, when the roads were safe, the trade would be easy. And besides, the inns were caste-like, stone-ornamented, beautiful buildings, and they are other kinds of artifacts besides masjids and baths at those times.
    I will be happy if you can advise. Thank you.

The Newt

English - US
    "On condition that" essentially means "if," so what your sentence says is "If the roads connecting the cities were safe, the inns with their castle-like appearance and their ornaments giving rich stone workmanship examples were prominent buildings..."

If the cities weren't safe, would that mean that the inns were not prominent buildings?

Lt.Data

Turkish
    "On condition that" essentially means "if," so what your sentence says is "If the roads connecting the cities were safe, the inns with their castle-like appearance and their ornaments giving rich stone workmanship examples were prominent buildings..."

If the cities weren't safe, would that mean that the inns were not prominent buildings?
    Hello Newt, thank you for your comment.
    I revised the sentence as below, maybe it works this time :)
    "The safety of the routes is always crucial for trading activities. The inns with their castle-like appearances and ornaments showing rich stone workmanship were secure shelters for caravans on desolate Anatolian roads at those times besides other buildings meeting different needs of people such as baths and masjids."
    I will be happy if you can advise. Bye.

The Newt

English - US
    Hello Newt, thank you for your comment.
    I revised the sentence as below, maybe it works this time :)
    "The safety of the routes is always crucial for trading activities. The inns with their castle-like appearances and ornaments showing rich stone workmanship were secure shelters for caravans on desolate Anatolian roads at those times besides other buildings meeting different needs of people such as baths and masjids."
    I will be happy if you can advise. Bye.

That's better but everything beginning with "besides" is still a problem. Also, at what times?

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    "The safety of the routes is always crucial for trading activities. The inns, with their castle-like appearances and ornaments showing rich stone workmanship, were secure shelters for caravans on desolate Anatolian roads in those times; other buildings, such as baths and masjids, met people's different needs." That's one possibility, and, of course, there are others that will also work. Good luck.

Lt.Data

Turkish
    "The safety of the routes is always crucial for trading activities. The inns, with their castle-like appearances and ornaments showing rich stone workmanship, were secure shelters for caravans on desolate Anatolian roads in those times; other buildings, such as baths and masjids, met people's different needs." That's one possibility, and, of course, there are others that will also work. Good luck.
    Hello, thank you for your message.
    My suggestion: "... besides other buildings meeting different needs of people such as baths and masjids."
    Your revision : "; other buildings, such as baths and masjids, met people's different needs"
    Here, in my writing, I want to emphasize that (one thousand year ago, in a particular historical area) there were three kinds of buildings, inns, baths, masjids. People used these facilities for different purposes, namely, inns for trading, baths for cleaning, and masjids for religious purposes. The main subject here is inns and I intend to underline their importance beside other structures. I would be happy if you look from this perspective and advise. Thank you again. Bye.

Last edited: