aloof, solitary

KYC

Mandarin
Hello, there:
If someone who is not knid of person that is outgoing, he/she tends to enjoy being alone rather than with many people all the time and he/she is normal not suffering from autism, Is it offensive to say He/She is a solitary person to native speakers's ears?
I also wondering if the term "aloof" can be interchangable with the term "solitary".
May I have your clarification?
Thanks a lot!

• demon001

French, English(USA)
    "solitary" means to be alone but does not connote misanthropy. "Aloof" means uncaring or unconcerned. If someone is "boorish" the he/she is rude, lacking manners

KYC

Mandarin
    Thanks for your prompt replies.
    So does the term "solitary" just mean the state of alone?
    Did I grasp it well?
    Also, if someone's make-up,personality is like what I mentioned in#1, his/her personality tends to like doing thing alone, I am wondering what term navtive speakers would use..
    May I have your replies?
    Thanks a lot!

KYC

Mandarin
    Thanks a lot for your replies,everyone!
    They are very helpful.
    One more question, when you call someone a loner, I am wondering if it is a netural term.
    Thanks a lot!
    I learn a lot from your replies.I am very appreciative of your help!:)

lablady

English - USA
    I don't consider a loner as antisocial. Asocial yes, but not antisocial. To me, antisocial lends the idea that the person is against society and behaves in a way that shows they are against society. Asocial just means they prefer to be without society or associations with others; they prefer to stay away from the parties and do things on their own. In my mind, there's a difference. A small difference, but a difference nonetheless.

Yes, there are criminals and antisocial people who are loners, but not all loners are antisocial.

Given that there are those who might not make a distiction between antisocial and asocial, I recant my suggestion of loner. :)

preppie

American English (Mostly MidAtlantic)
    I agree that loner is not required to have a negative connotation. Some folks are gregarious others are introverted. Being a loner doesn't make you bad person !

< Previous | Next >