alpine bowl

tranzlator

Italian
context: winter resort description
phrase: "200 trails, 3 glaciers and 12 alpine bowls".
Is that a ski trail for children to practice?
Thanx everyone

• Matching Mole

England, English
    Welcome to WordReference forums Tranzlator.

As far as I know a bowl in skiing terms is a bowl shaped valley or area (such as those called "cirques" in Europe, which are formed by glaciers), as opposed to straight ski slopes or long trails. I believe a technique called "bowl skiing" has developed to cope with this particular shape. It's a term fairly common in N America, as I understand it.

I think it would actually be unlikely to be suitable for children to practice; probably the reverse is true.

The word "Alpine" doesn't have any special meaning, I don't think. Resort skiing is sometimes called "Alpine skiing", from where this form of leisure originates.

Brioche

Australia English
    Welcome to WordReference forums Tranzlator.

As far as I know a bowl in skiing terms is a bowl shaped valley or area (such as those called "cirques" in Europe, which are formed by glaciers), as opposed to straight ski slopes or long trails. I believe a technique called "bowl skiing" has developed to cope with this particular shape. It's a term fairly common in N America, as I understand it.

I think it would actually be unlikely to be suitable for children to practice; probably the reverse is true.

The word "Alpine" doesn't have any special meaning, I don't think. Resort skiing is sometimes called "Alpine skiing", from where this form of leisure originates.
    Alpine skiing is downhill skiing, as opposed to Nordic or cross-country skiing

tranzlator

Italian
    Thanks a lot to everybody, I'm translating a guide about Canada - with plenty of rederences to winter sports - and your suggestions were all very helpful.
    I think the right word in italian would be "circo glaciale".

< Previous | Next >