Already this (January) they started (2018) by announcing

AntiScam

Arabic
Already this (January) they started (2018) by announcing

Hello,

Already this January they started 2018 by announcing the first National Robotics Championship (NRC) in Libya. They are also organizing the first Hackathon, an initiative for developing ICT solutions for marine issues.
Source: HEXA Connections, an active NGO that proves life goes on in Libya By Sami Zaptia

The placement of the year looks like an editorial overlook rather than an attempt to give variety to the text, I guess. A possible correction would be
Already this January 2018 they started by announcing ...
What do you think?

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The text says "they started 2018 by" and it means "they started 2018 by". It means "the first thing they did in 2018 was"

It does not mean "they started <doing something>". What is it that you think they started? They could have been doing something for years, but this is the first time in 2018. If that is true, it would be incorrect to say "they started" doing it.

The phrase "already this January" is odd, placed here and used this way.

Uncle Jack

British English
    I agree with dojibear that it is "already this January" that is odd, and I suspect the writer started off intending to write one thing ("Already this January they have announced the first...", perhaps), but then changed their mind to write "They started 2018 by..." and forgot to delete the original words.

< Previous | Next >