Also in the beginning of a sentence

• curlyboy20

Peruvian Spanish.
    It sounds awkward to put it in the beginning of that particular sentence. You can use "also" at the beginning of a sentence to introduce more information to a previous fact, for instance: "The economy in the USA is going through rough times these days. Banks are struggling and the value of homes is rising. Also, many employees are being laid off".

Mnemon

Persian - پارسی - 𐎱𐎾𐎿𐎡
    Is it OK to put "also" in the beginning of a sentence?
    I am not sure "why", but it seems to me that some native speakers object to this use of "also". I have been told that when you utilize "also" at the beginning of a sentence it suggests that your writing is just a list!

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It looks like an afterthought, which is fine if your sole aim is to communicate meaning. In careful writing, if you need to add something to a sentence you would take the trouble to integrate it properly.

Mnemon

Persian - پارسی - 𐎱𐎾𐎿𐎡
    Hello Veli, :)
    Thanks for your contribution.
    Please note that "also" could only be used as an adverb. It is not a conjunction.
    Take a look at this:
    also. The word is an adverb, & not a conjunction ; nevertheless, it is often used in the latter capacity where and (also), but also, or as well as, would be in place. In talk, where the informal stringing on of after-thoughts is legitimate, there is often no objection to this; & the deliberate afterthought may appear similarly in print; But it is the writer's ordinary duty to settle up with his after-thoughts before he writes his sentence, & consequently the unassisted also that is proper to the after-thought gives a slovenly air to its sentence.
    A Dictionary of Modern English Usage - Henry Watson Fowler

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Hello Veli, :)
    Thanks for your contribution.
    Please note that "also" could only be used as an adverb. It is not a conjunction.
    Take a look at this:

A Dictionary of Modern English Usage - Henry Watson Fowler
    I wasn't aware of of what Fowler said back then, but I agree with his advice. An afterthought is an afterthought, so whether you begin your thought with an adverb or any other part of speech, it's your own affair. It's a case of putting your thoughts into writing as they occur to you, rather than crafting your written work carefully.

Which we don't always need or want to do;).

Packard

USA, English
    I was taught to never start a sentence with "also", "but", "and", "in other words", etc. I graduated from school and have been ignoring that rule ever since. And I will continue to ignore that rule unless someone proves to me that it is truly wrong. But don't get me wrong I am not telling you to ignore those rules. In other words, do as I say, not as I do...

< Previous | Next >