Also, there are six primary dialects of Basque as well as a few more that are less well known.

kaze_hikaru

Korean
There is a sentence-Also, there are six primary dialects of Basque as well as a few more that are less well known.

It means that........ there are six primary dialects of Basque. In addition, there are a few more that are less well known?
or
it means that ......there are a few more that are less well known languages. In addition, there are six primary dialects of Basque?

Where did the writer put the focus?? Before one or after one? There is no other sentence. In that case, what do you think the writer continue to write the story focosing on ?

I think the order is not that important, but we are argueing here..so I am asking you.....

Last edited:
  • entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It means "as well as a few more dialects of Basque . . ."; it doesn't mean "primary dialects of Basque as well as (dialects) of a few more languages . . ." Does that answer the question you're asking? I'm not entirely clear what you think the other possibility is.

kaze_hikaru

Korean
    It means "as well as a few more dialects of Basque . . ."; it doesn't mean "primary dialects of Basque as well as (dialects) of a few more languages . . ." Does that answer the question you're asking? I'm not entirely clear what you think the other possibility is.
    I am not good at speaking English. Sorry to confuse you. I edited the content. Could you read my question again? I hope you understand what I mean...

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    It's difficult to explain the meaning of this sentence without context, we don't know if the word 'language' was used previously or what is being referred to.

Nevertheless what is certain, is that he means there are six main dialects of Basque, plus other less well known dialects (of Basque). 'Dialect' and 'language' have different meanings, if the author had meant to say 'as well as a few other languages' he would have used the word 'languages'. Since he didn't, we have to assume he meant 'dialects'.

heypresto

English - England
    Where did you see this sentence?

Before one or after one?
    Before or after one what?

There's no way to tell what the writer went on to discuss.

And it would be helpful to know what came before this sentence, so we might make sense of 'Also . . . ' Also to what?

(It's not a good idea to change the original question after you have received some replies. Anybody reading this thread sometime later won't understand the replies given to the now altered original question.)

< Previous | Next >