Alternative test sites

ida2

Persian - Iran
In the context below, what does “Alternative test sites” exactly mean? Does it refer to laboratories merely specified for testing sensitive illnesses?

In certain conditions, stigma and discrimination are greater than in other illnesses. Early in the HIV epidemic, HIV testing received special protection, including pretest counseling and written informed consent. Alternative test sites were established in which people could be tested for HIV antibodies anonymously. Furthermore, although AIDS cases had to be reported, HIV infection was not reportable in many states.

Source: Resolving Ethical Dilemmas: A Guide for Clinicians by Bernard Lo

• Uncle Jack

British English
    One possibility from the rest of the description is that it means clinics; places that people can visit anonymously to have tests carried out, rather than going through usual medical channels where they would be known and recognised. However, "test sites" is a poor choice of words for places which presumably just take samples and give counselling, so it might mean laboratories. I have no idea what testing is involved and how long it takes; perhaps they are clinics and laboratories combined. I cannot really see any need for new laboratories to preserve anonymity, if samples are just delivered to them and people do not attend in person.

ida2

Persian - Iran
    One possibility from the rest of the description is that it means clinics; places that people can visit anonymously to have tests carried out, rather than going through usual medical channels where they would be known and recognised. However, "test sites" is a poor choice of words for places which presumably just take samples and give counselling, so it might mean laboratories. I have no idea what testing is involved and how long it takes; perhaps they are clinics and laboratories combined. I cannot really see any need for new laboratories to preserve anonymity, if samples are just delivered to them for testing rather than people attending in person.
    Thanks a lot.

< Previous | Next >