Alternatively vs or alternatively?

Kourus36

UAE
Arabic - Jordan
Hello everybody,

I need to know if the use of "or" before the adverb "alternatively" is redundancy/common mistake/ or grammatically not correct?

Example: "You can bring the documents to my office, or alternatively, you can send them to me via email"

vs

Example: "You can bring the documents to my office. Alternatively, you can send them to me via email"

• heypresto

English - England
    It's not 'or' that is redundant, it's 'alternatively'.

I think the sentence would be better as "You can bring the documents to my office, or you can send them to me via email."

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I don't have any objection to the second version of the sentence(s):
    "You can bring the documents to my office. Alternatively, you can send them to me via email"

But I agree that you shouldn't use "alternatively" together with "or": they simply duplicate each other's meaning.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The first sentence has a couple issues:

You can bring the documents to my office, or alternatively, you can send them to me via email.:cross:
    You can bring the documents to my office, or, you can send them to me via email.:cross:
    You can bring the documents to my office, or you can send them to me via email.:tick:

You can bring the documents to my office, alternatively, you can send them to me via email.:cross:
    You can bring the documents to my office. Alternatively, you can send them to me via email.:tick:

< Previous | Next >