Alternatives for "proper"

Via32

Hungarian
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to write a sentence in my assignment but I don't like the word "proper/ly" being used twice. Can I say "adequate treatment" instead, does it make sense? Or do you have any alternatives to suggest to change that or the "properly" after "regenerate"?

"Following an injury, proper treatment is necessary in order for the tissue to regenerate properly."

• Barque

Tamil
    You could drop "properly". It'd still be implied. Or you could replace it with "completely".

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I'd go for replacing the first "proper", which I think is the easier of the two to alter, and do it as:

"Following an injury, the correct treatment is necessary in order for the tissue to regenerate properly." :)

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    I would say 'suitable' treatment, as 'adequate' carries the meaning of 'barely sufficient' as well and would therefore be ambiguous.
    :thumbsup:

I was thinking of "appropriate treatment".

[Cross-posted with DonnyB, who has also made a good suggestion.]

kentix

English - U.S.
    I like London Calling's suggestion.The properly at the end seems more essential to the sentence than the first proper. The first can be replaced.

Via32

Hungarian
    Thank you all!
    Yes, I wanted to keep the properly at the end too :)
    I'll go with appropriate treatment, suitable to me for some reason suggests that it's good, but not perfectly what's needed, could be better.

< Previous | Next >