although by yielding

< Previous | Next >

Vanloon

Hindi
In the book 'W.C. White and Ellen G. White' page 43, written by Jerry Moon..

'Your father and myself...could not consent to your plodding along merely as a farmer...Father weeps over your case. But we are both at loss to know what to say or do in your case. We view it just alike. You are at present not fitted to have a family for in judgment you are a child, --in self-control a child. You have no strength to resist temptation although by yielding you would disgrace us and yourself and dishonor God.'

It was written more than one hundred years ago.

As I understand..in the last sentence...
'You have no strength to resist temptation although by yielding(to temptation) you would disgrace us and yourself and dishonor God.'
I Do know what does the word 'although' mean. It means...'even though', 'however'

But in this context...I believe not 'although' but 'because'.
'You would disgrace us and yourself and dishonor God Because you have no strength to resist temptation.

Am I wrong?
Please let me know, I cannot understand why 'although' is there?
Thanks in advance!

• ron1759

U.S. - English
    "Although" does mean "even though" in the sentence, not "because." The sentence is saying that "even with the added knowledge that in yielding to temptation you would disgrace us and yourself and dishonor God, you still do not have the strength to resist the temptation." In other words, the fact that yielding will cause disgrace and dishonor does not provide enough motivation to resist temptation.

< Previous | Next >