Although marked

< Previous | Next >

Mher85

Armenian
Dear friends, I can't grasp the meaning of the "although marked" expression. Could you, please, suggest any alternatives? What do you think it could mean here:

"The advances of the malady are, luckily, gradual. The first manifestations, although marked, are unequivocal. The fits grow successively more and more distinctive, and endure each for a longer term than the preceding."http://poestories.com/read/premature

• Packard

USA, English
    One of the definitions for "marked" is "clearly noticeable" or "evident". I think that definition will clear things up.

Kirill V.

Russian
    What I don't quite understand here is this although...
    If the symptoms are unequivocal, they should be marked... Why do they say .. although marked, are unequivocal.:confused:

I'd rather expect ... although not marked, are unequivocal.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I share your puzzlement kayve.

Unless it means that marked symptoms might lead one to suppose that they are symptoms of some other disease - but in fact they are uniquivocally those of catalepsy. I'm not even sure that "manifestations" means symptoms; maybe it means the first few times the disease manifests itself.

Is there a doctor in the house?

Mher85

Armenian
    I have looked into many editions of the story, but everywhere there is "although marked"? However, I agree with kayve and am going to translate it as "not marked," especially after I have looked into its Russian translation.

< Previous | Next >