Although Richard is competent

< Previous | Next >

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Although Richard is competent in his work, he does not know how to deal with this client.
Instead of using although, I do with “adjective” and “ as much as”.
Please tell me if I am correct?
  • Competent as Richard is in his work, he does not know how to deal with this client.
  • As much as Richard is competent in his work, he does not know how to deal with this client.
Thank you very much.

• nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    The first one is great, but I don't like the second one too much.

I was thinking about "As competent as Richard is..........", but then I realize that's basically the same as the first one.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    I understand that you like the first and the third as well. If the second had "As" at the beginning of the sentence, you would like it too, wouldn't you?
    Thanks

nichec

Oh, you lost me here, dear mimi. The second one does have an "as" in the beginning of the sentence.

See, I guess what I don't like about the second one is that "much" is right where "competent" should be.

You can say "As much as he loves her..............", here we use "much" to describe the degree/intensity of his love, and when you say "As competent as Richard is...........", you use "competent" to describe Richard as a person, so I don't see why "much" is needed at all.

But I may be wrong, of course :)

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Ah, I understand.
    But "as much as" is "although" to me.
    I don't know if I remember it exactly.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Ah, it is "much as" not "as much as"
    Much as Richard is competent in his work, he does not know how to deal with this client.
    Is it correct?
    Thanks.

nichec

Oh, you mean something like "As much as I hate what you did to me, I can't just leave without saying goodbye"?

Hmm, in that case, "as much as" is close enough to "although".

But, but, but, they are still not the same, I guess.

< Previous | Next >