Although satisfied with facilities I had .... [Inversion]

< Previous | Next >

Mike2947

Chinese
Is my inversion correct and is it the one used in an informal letter written to a friend?
"Although satisfied with facilities I had in my previous place, I had a bully neighbour driving me crazy. As a result of this I preferred to move out of my place."
Regards,

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    The "although satisfied" seems odd here; you might say "While/Although I was satisfied with the facilities I had...

Also note that the word order "a bully neighbor" suggests that "bully" is being used as an adjective. There is a very old-fashioned adjective "bully" (which was much favored by, and is strongly associeated with, Theodore Roosevelt) which means "excellent; superior; first-rate". I doubt this is what you mean; if you mean your neighbor was aggressive and intimidating, you should say "I had a neighbor who was a bully and who was driving me crazy."

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I don't think there's an inversion in that clause at all. And it makes sense to me (except there should be a "the" in it, as GWB points out).

Secondly, it might just be easier to change "bully" to "bullying." (Or even "my neighbor's constant bullying was driving me crazy.")

Mike2947

Chinese
    First of all sorry I meant "reduction", not "Inversion".
    These are some examples from a pamphlet I have for reduction:

Full: Although the moon rocks were expensive to obtain, they provided valuable information.
    Reduced: Although expensive to obtain, the moon rocks provided valuable information.

Full: Although he is not selected for the team, he attends all of the games as a fan.
    Reduced: Although not selected for the team, he attends all of the games as a fan.

Full:Although she was surprised at the results, she was pleased with what she had done.
    Reduced:Although surprised at the results, she was pleased with what she had done.

Based on this rule I see in this pamphlet, my sentence should be correct! Am I wrong?

Mike2947

Chinese
    "Although satisfied with facilities I had in my previous place, I had a neighbour who was a bully. As a result of this I preferred to move out of my place."
    Based on the cited grammar, could you please let me know whether my reduction is correct or not?

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Here are the main mistakes - a missing "the" and a preposition that I don't like, as well as a case of severe wordiness at the end: "Although satisfied with the facilities I had at my previous place, I had a neighbour who was a bully, and so I preferred to move out."

Mike2947

Chinese
    So I am happy that I used reduction correctly; could you please let me know whether this reduction is ok in an informal letter as well?

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I don't mind this reduction; GWB doesn't like this reduction.

Um... so it might be a matter of taste and personal style. The reduction is less probable, for instance, if you want the main clause to have "my neighbor's constant bullying" as its subject.

< Previous | Next >