Although the train is very expensive, it is very reliable.

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
I'm trying to find a sentence which I can use to illustrate concession using conjunctions, prepositions and linking adverbials. My examples are as follows:

1. Although the train in the UK is very expensive, it is very reliable.
2. Despite being very expensive, the train in the UK is very reliable.
3. The train in the UK is very expensive. Mind you, it is very reliable.

Do you find the three sentences idiomatic in English?

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
  • PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    No.

1. Although the train trains in the UK is are very expensive, it is they are very reliable.
    2. Despite being very expensive,
    the train trains in the UK is are very reliable.
    The trainTrains in the UK is are very expensive. Mind you, it is they are very reliable.

Otherwise, they are fine.... perhaps a semicolon after expensive in number 3...

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
    Can't we use "the train", "the bus" or "the metro" if we are talking about means of transport? :confused:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Yes. "I take the train to work." :tick: This is a collocation of take and the train - you also take the bus, the underground, the plane, etc. These are forms of transport that are specific to you or your audience - you don't take any train... you could end up in Scotland!

A: "How do you get to work?"
    B: "I take the train."
    A: "What? The 07:45?"
    B: "Ha! No - I never take that, it stops at every station. I take the 07:52."

So when B says, "I take the train." He knows that he is speaking of a specific train. Even if there were only one train, it would still be the train - the only train

In your examples, you are talking about the railways as a nationwide public transport system and you are talking in general terms. Trains is correct here as synedoche for the railway passenger network but is a little informal. To be more formal "Rail travel... is..." would be used.

Although the train in the UK is very expensive, it is very reliable. This sounds like there is only one train in the UK but it is reliable.

< Previous | Next >