Although you miss his presence, take heart knowing...

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Mona Lisa, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Mona Lisa Member

Canada English
    I want to convey my sentiments to the family for someone who passed away, but I don't know if English expressions like "miss his presence" and "take heart" translate well into Italian.

I want to say, " Although you miss his presence, take heart knowing that his spirit lives on as your guardian angel."

My attempt: "Anche se vi manchi della sua presenza, fatevi coraggio sapere il suo spirito continua a vivere come il tuo angelo custode."

• I thought "miss his presence" rather then simply "miss him" is a succinct way to convey that they miss his being around them but he's not actually "gone" -- his spirit lives on.
    • I use "take heart / take courage" because I want to use an expression other than "take comfort..." ("take comfort" is already printed inside the sympathy card).
    Thank you for your help.

2. Mary49

Mary49 Senior Member

Padova
    Italian
    Hi,
    let me correct your translation: "Anche se vi manca la sua presenza, fatevi coraggio sapendo che il suo spirito continua a vivere come il vostro angelo custode".

3. euriclea Senior Member

Firenze
    Italian
    Anche se vi manca la sua presenza, fatevi forza sapendo che il suo spirito continua a vegliare su di voi come il vostro angelo custode.

4. Mona Lisa Member

Canada English
    Thank you very much. I see where I made a typo with "il tuo angelo." I meant to type "il vostro angelo," since I'm addressing more than one person.

But I'm a little confused about sapendo / sapere. In English it's common to use the gerund ("-ing") form of a verb in our expressions ("take strength knowing that ...", "I like studying on Mondays," etc.) But in Italian, I thought the equivalent is to use the infinitive. In English, it would literally translate to "take strength to know that..." and "I like to study on Mondays."

Even though the languages use different verb forms, they both express the same thing. "Take courage knowing that his spirit lives on" = "Fatevi coraggio sapere che il suo spirito continua a vivere." So is my understanding wrong, and I should be using "sapendo"? ... And all this time I thought there was at least one Italian grammatical rule that I understood perfectly.:confused: Experts or native speakers, please enlighten me.

5. Odysseus54

Odysseus54 Mod huc mod illuc

In the hills of Marche
    Italian - Marche
    The English -ing form translates both the Italian infinitive and the Italian gerund.

I enjoy swimming = Mi piace nuotare

I was swimming = Stavo nuotando.

In a sentence like "Take strength knowing" , I doubt that "Take strength to know" would be a correct way to paraphrase it in English.

If you split the sentence into two parts :

Take strength

and

knowing

what is the relation between them ? Are you taking strength 1) with the purpose of knowing or 2) because you know ?