although

to-mah-to to-may-to...

Czech
I wonder, if the conjunction "although" is used correctly in the sentence: "The musicality is not completely unchangeable, although it is relatively stable." . To me it sounds unnatural, in the sense that the second sentence of this coumpound sentence does not COMPLETELY (on condition that "although" indicates that the next sentence will be contradictory) contradict the second sentence statement. ...It's just that while reading it I couldn't follow the thought process of the writer completely... so I ask anyone with a fresher brain than mine. :D In my opinion, it would read more logical when written for example like this: "Being relatively stable, the musicality is not completely unchangeable." Thank you for any help!!! ;)

• Kannan91

Malayalam
    "Although" isn't supposed to indicate a complete contradiction. The original sentence is perfectly correct, whereas your suggested revision doesn't make sense (it appears to mean "Because it is relatively stable, the musicality is not completely unchangeable").

to-mah-to to-may-to...

Czech
    The musicality can not be completely unchangeable because it is relatively stable.
    It is my suggestion.
    I understand the sentence as that the writer wants to say that "Because the fact/Despite the fact that it is relatively stable ("relatively" meaning "not absolutely", "to some extent"=>implies at least some (though small) possibility that the door is open to its (=meaning musicality) change) it is not completely unchangeable."(=hey, isn´t this called doublethink? :D OMG ...but when I get down to earth its about the definition of "relatively" )...soo there is no need to use although... My thought process when reading it: First sentence says that musicality is not completely unchangeable ... that is okay, the next sentence says that it is relatively stable... that seems to me as just a restatement of the first sentence... so why is there "although"? Maybe I am thinking too absolutely... :D sorry, had a tough day...
    So that makes you right, Mateusz...I think, thank you :)

sorry for constant re-re-editing
    original post:
    Originally Posted by to-mah-to, to-may-to...
    I understand the sentence as that the writer wants to say that "Despite the fact that it is relatively stable ("relatively" meaning "not absolutely", "to some extent"=>implies at least some (though small) possibility that the door is open to its (=meaning musicality) change) it is not completely unchangeable." ...soo there is no need to use although... My thought process when reading it: First sentence says that musicality is not completely unchangeable ... that is okay, the next sentence says that it is relatively stable... that seems to me as just a restatement of the first sentence... so why is there "although"? Maybe I am thinking too absolutely... :D sorry, had a tough day...
    So that makes you right, Mateusz...I think :)

...I have difficulties putting my own ideas.. :D

Last edited:

Kannan91

Malayalam
    I understand the sentence as that the writer wants to say that "Despite the fact that it is relatively stable ("relatively" meaning "not absolutely", "to some extent"=>implies at least some (though small) possibility that the door is open to its (=meaning musicality) change) it is not completely unchangeable." ...soo there is no need to use although... My thought process when reading it: First sentence says that musicality is not completely unchangeable ... that is okay, the next sentence says that it is relatively stable... that seems to me as just a restatement of the first sentence... so why is there "although"? Maybe I am thinking too absolutely... :D sorry, had a tough day...
    So that makes you right, Mateusz...I think :)
    Even though neither of those ideas is absolute, they still contrast with each other. Now, if it had said "relatively unstable", you would be right.

< Previous | Next >