although

intolerandus

Banned
Russian
Hello everyone,
Chambers Book of Days gives us an account of the various snowflake types and eventually shifts to describing frosting:
Not less so is frost-work, which may be seen without stirring abroad on the window-panes; what a mingling of fern leaves and foliage of every shape, rare network and elfin embroidery, does this silent worker place before the eye, such as no pattern-drawer ever yet seized upon, although
'A thing of beauty is a joy for ever.' — Keats.
At first, I was going to ask what "without stirring abroad" means, but remembering that only one question per thread is allowed ;), I have come to a decision to ask about that mysterious "although" right before the famous Keats' line. I can't realise why this line is being somewhat contrasted with the previous paragraph, so it does not seem logical to me. Could someone explain why "although" is being used here?
Thank you.

• rhitagawr

British English
    It's apparently being used in its normal sense. Perhaps it means that although the frost on the window panes will melt, we'll remember the patterns for ever because they're so beautiful.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It isn't evident from the given context why "although" is used. Do you have the link so that we can see the rest of the passage, intolerandus? What does "no less so" refer back to?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Rhitagawr must be right. A thing of beauty is a joy forever, although this is not true in the case of frost-patterns on windowpanes. Some things of great beauty are transient.

Frost is beautiful, although Keats seems to have a different opinion.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Hi, intolerandus, Please don't hesitate to ask your other question in a new thread! So, with the context of the previous line "Frostwork is no less 'beautiful exceedingly' than snowflakes.", rhitagawr has got the meaning, I think, although I'm not sure Chambers Book of Days expressed it well. I'd've said, "...such as no pattern-drawer ever yet seized upon; and "A thing of beauty..."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >