although

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
I have a doubt about the usage of "Although" here. Is it possible?
"Although dissimilar in almost every other respect, birds and insects have both evolved efficient flying capabilities."
Thanks.

• volky

Spanish/English
    I suggest you always go to the word definition. This will help you get it.

although adverb

although, though, tho'
    despite the fact that; "even though she knew the answer, she did not respond"

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi, volky.
    I know the meaning of "although" but I would like to know if it is correct to put "although" there. Is it possible to use "although" with a noun or an adjective.
    I would like to know if this sentence is correct.
    Thanks.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    I'm not sure what you want to know. The sentence is fine. In this case, "although" means "despite being", hence the sentence makes sense:

"Despite being dissimilar in almost every other respect, birds and insects have both evolved efficient flying capabilities."

Does that help?

cruxcriticorum

United States, English
    Hi mimi2.

Your doubt may stem from the fact that "they are" is assumed in your construction. "Although (they are) dissimilar...." Your usage is correct, but in my experience "although" is more commonly used to mean "but" or "however". This could make the sentence sound unnatural to some people. You might consider cycloneviv's sentence: "Despite being dissimilar...."

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Hi, volky.
    Is it possible to use "although" with a noun or an adjective.
    Although can be used in this instance with either, eg:

"Although domestic cats, Maine Coons love to go for a swim."

ie "Despite being domestic cats, Maine Coons love to go for a swim."

"Although happy, Jack felt as though something was missing in his life."

ie "Despite being happy, Jack felt as though something was missing in his life."

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi,
    I have a doubt about the usage of "Although" here. Is it possible?
    "Although dissimilar in almost every other respect, birds and insects have both evolved efficient flying capabilities."
    Thanks.
    "Although meek and mild during the day, Johnny turns into a brave and daring superhero at night;"
    "Although alike in temperment, the brothers don't look related;
    "Although nasty and mean most of the time, my old neighbour lady always feeds the birds and squirrels which come into her yard"

volky

Spanish/English
    Hi, volky.
    I know the meaning of "although" but I would like to know if it is correct to put "although" there. Is it possible to use "although" with a noun or an adjective.
    I would like to know if this sentence is correct.
    Thanks.
    Mimi,

I guess that now you have the answer you were looking for, so the only thing for me is to suggest you that in future requests, please be as clear as possible. Give us the context, express what is the help you are looking for. As you can see an unclear request can result in very confussing answers.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you very much.
    I have the answer for my question now. I noticed that "Although dissimilar" is reduction of "Although (they are) dissimilar" and it is also used instead of "Despite of being dissimilar".
    Yes,that is all I would like to know.
    Thanks.

< Previous | Next >