although

bg1996

Cantonese,Mandarin;Kwangtung/Guangdong,hk
"If you describe a change or process as piecemeal, you disapprove of it because it happens gradually and usually at irregular intervals, although this may not be satisfactory."

I don't know why "although" is used in my book. Why not use "and"? I can't change the sentence with "but". But others with "although" can be changed.

Although they are poor they are happy.
They are poor but they are happy.

• saraken

USA
    American English
    I have no idea. That excerpt you've given sounds wrong. I would agree that it should read, '...and this may not be satisfactory.' One could say, too, 'although this may not be unsatisfactory' (in which case you could rearrange the sentence with a 'but'), but that's probably not what the author was getting at. I think this is a mistake, but maybe someone else can think of an explanation.

Loob

English UK
    Your sentence sounds fine to me, bg1996. Why do you think it sounds wrong?

bg1996

Cantonese,Mandarin;Kwangtung/Guangdong,hk
    Thanks, Saraken and Loob.

Loob, Saraken has talked about the reason, which is the same as mine. I just think there's no turn(the reason for "because" in the original sentence) between "it happens gradually and usually at irregular intervals" and "this may not be satisfactory."

Loob

English UK
    Hi again bg1996

I think there are two ways of looking at the sentence.

One is the way you are looking at it, which is on the lines of:
    If you describe a change or process as piecemeal, you disapprove of it because
    (Reason 1) it happens gradually and usually at irregular intervals
    (Reason 2) this may not be satisfactory.

I agree that, in this version, the sentence would need to have "and" instead of "although":
    If you describe a change or process as piecemeal, you disapprove of it because it happens gradually and usually at irregular intervals, and this may not be satisfactory.

The second way of looking at the sentence is:
    If you describe a change or process as piecemeal, you disapprove of it because
    (Reason 1) it happens gradually and usually at irregular intervals, although this may not be satisfactory.

"Although" in this interpretation is acceptable, because it means "despite the fact that" or "even though".

I hope this is clear: please come back if it's not:)

< Previous | Next >