"altitude work" or "high altitude work" - which is proper?

Baltic Sea

Hello everybody!

When we say that someone works on a tall scaffolding or not necessarily on a scaffolding, but several metres above the ground, do we call it "altitude work" or "high altitude work" or is there still another name for it that I don't know? I have already checked out on the Internet and I know for sure that "aerial work" applies to rendering aeroplane services for various applications.

Thank you.
  • Waylink

    Senior Member
    English (British)
    Although "elevated" means lifted up or raised, an "elevation" need not be high up; a building's elevation is simply the front, back or side of the building. "elevation" is often used to indicate the type of drawings used by architect and builders, "front elevation", "rear elevation", etc. not to be confused with the "plan" view looking down on the building, or sectional views showing the inner construction.

    In British English, "working at height" is probably the preferred expression. Below is a quotation from a web page of the 'Health and Safety Executive" (the British government agency responsible for industrial safety):

    "These [publications] cover a wide range of subjects, from control of asbestos at work, diving, escape and rescue from mines, ionising radiation and working at height."

    SOURCE: http://www.hse.gov.uk/legislation/hswa.htm
    Last edited:


    Working at elevations, this is what is used in US legal contexts while talking about people working on scaffolds, ladders, etc. Working at high altitudes may refer to people working in the mountains, at certain altitudes where the level of oxegen and atmospheric pressure are different.