altogether the most fruitful move

farima_mt

persian
I need your help to make sure if I understood the meaning of this part correctly.
( Here Stiller directed The Legend of.., after which he and the star thus discovered, Garbo ,also took themselves west-a disastrous move for Stiller and not , as it was to turn out ,altogether the most fruitful move,artistically anyway,that Garbo could have made.)
It's from Bergman's interviews by Raphael Shargel,page 10.
Here is my understanding:
( Stiller with his star Garbo after that film went to Hollywood (west) which was so bad for stiller and also for Garbo wasn't as good as it was supposed to be.)
Is it all right?
Help me please.
Thanks in advance.

• wandle

English - British
    There are a lot of qualifying terms here.
    If we leave out parentheses, we have: '... not altogether the most fruitful move that Garbo could have made'.
    Coming down to the core: 'not the most fruitful move'. This means the move was not the best in a productive sense.
    'Not altogether the most fruitful move' means that it was not, all things considered, the most productive.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Stiller with his star Garbo after that film went to Hollywood (west) which was so bad for stiller and also for Garbo wasn't as good as it was supposed to be.

so bad
    - the original says it was disastrous: so bad won't do in this context; very bad would be better.

wasn't as good as it was supposed to be
    - the original says not altogether the most fruitful move: that means that she could have done other things which would have been more fruitful. I don't think how fruitful it was supposed to be comes into it.

farima_mt

persian
    Thanks a lot,you helped me indeed.
    So (as it was to turn out) doesn't mean ( as it was supposed to be)? Could you help me to figure it out?
    Thanks again

wandle

English - British
    'As it was to turn out' seems to have been included by the author as a precaution to avoid giving the impression that he considered Garbo ought to have foreseen that the move would not be very productive.

< Previous | Next >