am going jogging - was going jogging

Ivan_I

Russian
I have a simple question. Do they mean the same action with the only difference in tenses or not?

1) I am going jogging now. (means: I am on my way to jog)
2) I was going jogging yesterday. (I think it means: I was on my way to jog yesterday.)

Bu the problem is that I have come across another meaning of the second sentence provided by a native and that meaning is:

3) I was going jogging yesterday. (A native's meaning: I was jogging yesterday.)

What do you think?

• suzi br

English / England
    Yes, there is a possibility that some natives might mean “I was jogging” when they say #2.

It doesn’t sound quite right, as you can tell. For your own use I’d recommend not adopting that and stick to the original sense. If you are struggling to understand which meaning a native speaker is adopting you’ll have to look for other clues in the context, or ask.

Last edited:
    You are right. [be going] +[verb +ing] has a least four meanings; a)be on the way to; b)intending to; c)will do in future [future tense equivalent]; d)engaging in (occurrent, right at the time the sentence refers to).

Your sentences 1) and 2) are both multiply ambiguous. It's not a matter of tense, only.

Your 1) could mean c), "I've decided to, and about to go jogging in the immediate future." (But I'm not 'on my way' literally.)

Last edited: