am going to (present progressive)

spiderplant

USA / English
Hello,
I am volunteer teaching English to a Spanish speaker (I speak no Spanish) and I have been able to explain the present progressive except for "going". I realize that it might be better explained as the near future, but maybe I'm missing something. What would you recommend.
Thank you

• Nodey

English United States
    Hi Spiderplant,

You are essentially correct. Since you are not a Spanish speaker, I would recommend a book called English Grammar for Students of Spanish by Emily Spinelli. There is also a Spanish version called La Gramática de Español para Estudiantes de Inglés also by Emily Spinelli. They are excellent references for basic grammar questions.

The structure I am going to visit my aunt this weekend. exists in Spanish in more or less the same form: Voy a visitar a mi tía este fin de semana. Your student should recognize this without any problem at all.

xqby

English (U.S.)
    I agree with the previous post's Spanish example; both languages tend to describe the near future periphrastically.
    The Spanish format utilizes the simple present, but the fundamental idea is similar.

"I am going to walk." -> "Voy a caminar."
    "I will walk." -> "Caminaré."

spiderplant

USA / English
    Thank you both Nodey and xqby. I have the French version of this English grammar book and it is helpful.

ChocolateLover

English
    Hi,

"I am going to walk"-> "Voy a caminar."
    "I will walk." -> "Caminaré."
    Since "Caminaré" isn't that common, especially, if you're talking about a near future action, "voy a caminar" or "camino"(with a future meaning) also mean "I will walk."

I hope this helps

Regards

JB

English (AE)
    "Voy a" literally means "I am going to" and can be followed by any infinitive, so as already said, it parallels the English, which means that you get out of having to do a detailed explanation of its use. It is essentially (not 100%, but close enough for a start) the same.

(The same applies to other persons - he, she, it etc.)

< Previous | Next >