am going to wait / will wait / will be waiting

Garbuz

Russian
I'm not going to bed. I am going to wait / will wait / will be waiting for him.

My best choice is 'am going' if the decision is already made. I think 'will wait' is also possible if the decision to wait is made at the moment of speaking. 'Will be waiting' is not good. Am I right?

Thanks in advance.

• wolfbm1

Polish
    If the person is not going to bed then the waiting is taking place right now. I don't think you can say that the person is going to wait.
    So, what about this sentence:
    I'm not going to bed. I am waiting for him and I will wait until he comes.

Maybe two hours later the person will still be waiting.

Last edited:

boozer

Bulgarian
    All of them are perfectly acceptable, in my opinion, with different emphasis. Just don't tell me this is a multiple-choice question, Garbuz. :) (What is the source)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The third option is perfectly viable: "I'm not going to bed; I'll be waiting for him with a baseball bat and as soon as he walks through that door...."

Garbuz

Russian
    All of them are perfectly acceptable, in my opinion, with different emphasis. Just don't tell me this is a multiple-choice question, Garbuz. :) (What is the source)
    It's a stand alone Russian sentence from a grammar translation exercise. That's why I couldn't decide which of the options would work.

boozer

Bulgarian
    So the purpose of the exercise is to check how you would translate each of those in Russian? (That would be fair enough, although difficult for me with my rusty Russian :D) Or something else?

< Previous | Next >