Am I a pirate of Starbucks?

< Previous | Next >

flyingwitch

Czech
‎Hello. I often go to a Starbucks cafe. But I never buy anything, only the people who I meet there buy something. How should I call myself? Can I say, that I am a pirate of Starbucks? Thank you.

• Packard

USA, English
    "Stargazer"? :) But you are welcome there anyway.

Starbucks Says Anyone Can Now Sit In Its Cafes -- Even Without Buying Anything

Starbucks announced a new policy of inclusivity on Saturday that will permit anyone to sit in its cafes or use the stores’ restrooms, regardless of whether they’ve bought anything, The Associated Press reported.

The move comes weeks after one of the coffee chain’s stores in Philadelphia incited outrage for calling the police on two black men who had not made a purchase while they waited for a friend to arrive.

Of course if you are taking up table space (independent of your friends' use) you may be costing the store valuable space for other customers. If there are empty tables, then you are not "stealing" from them.

flyingwitch

Czech
    Thank you for welcoming me in the English forum! I often post threads in the German section, but I need to work on my English skills too.

<-----Czech phrase removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->
    I don't know how to express these thoughts in English..

Last edited by a moderator:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Your translation is correct. But we don't use that idiom in the US and UK.

What does it mean in Czech, when you say you are a Starbucks pirate? You steal from them? You get away with something? You annoy them? You waste their time? You use something that people pay to use? Something else?

We might have an English expression for this meaning. But we don't know the meaning.

flyingwitch

Czech
    I mean I love the Starbucks company. I work as a tour guide in my city, and I often bring my tourist in the middle of a tour to a Starbucks cafe. They often even invite me, because they like my walking tours. So because of me, the Starbucks company made some good money, because I bring my tourists there.

"Jsem pirát Starbucksu." in the Czech language means, that I would never buy anything. I do not steal anything, of course. I want to be nice.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    In many restaurants, it is unusual to spend time there without buying food. We have words for that unusual situation (see post #7). Some restaurants tolerate it (unhappily). Others don't allow it, and will make you leave.

But that isn't true in Starbucks. They welcome people who visit with buying. So doing this is not unusual, and there isn't a word for it.

Packard

USA, English
    Starbucks is what is called a "third place", that is a gathering place outside of the home (first place) and work (second place). It comes with some burdens, like people lingering over a cup of coffee for a very long time. Or those who buy a cup of coffee just to use the internet connection.

Starbucks has been actively working to be less of a third place. The drive-through window and the pre-order and pickup are prime examples. There is little negative connotation to these policies.

On the other hand they ordered bar stools that were deliberately non-ergonomic in hopes of having people stay for a shorter period of time, and odd shaped bar height tables that made it difficult to use a laptop and eat at the table. There has been some complaints over that.

Much of Starbucks' success is based on its third place status, but now they want to shed that status to improve turnover.

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Starbucks is what is called a "third place", that is a gathering place outside of the home (first place) and work (second place). It comes with some burdens, like people lingering over a cup of coffee for a very long time. Or those who buy a cup of coffee just to use the internet connection.

Starbucks has been actively working to be less of a third place. The drive-through window and the pre-order and pickup are prime examples. There is little negative connotation to these policies.

On the other hand they ordered bar stools that were deliberately non-ergonomic in hopes of having people stay for a shorter period of time, and odd shaped bar height tables that made it difficult to use a laptop and eat at the table. There has been some complaints over that.

Much of Starbucks' success is based on its third place status, but now they want to shed that status to improve turnover.
    I live in the Canadian suburbs and all our local Starbucks are take out or drive through or rather uncomfortable.

There is however a tradition of independent coffee houses in my city. There were Italian and Portugese coffee houses started in the 1950s and independent local shops and chains.

While these function as third places I think you would be pushing it to go in alone and sit for an hour without ordering anything. People do get one cup of coffee and use the internet all afternoon

Packard

USA, English
    I live in the Canadian suburbs and all our local Starbucks are take out or drive through or rather uncomfortable.

There is however a tradition of independent coffee houses in my city. There were Italian and Portugese coffee houses started in the 1950s and independent local shops and chains.

While these function as third places I think you would be pushing it to go in alone and sit for an hour without ordering anything. People do get one cup of coffee and use the internet all afternoon
    Panera Bread (coffee and sandwich shops) limit the WiFi user to 30 minutes during peak meal times.

Panera Bread Stores Overloaded With Wi-Fi Users Who Won't Leave ·

Panera, like coffee shops and other eateries, all face the same challenge: how to discourage the freeloaders who spend hours occupying tables and seats without buying anything while not alienating the customers that do buy and appreciate the wireless Internet connection as a free perk.

< Previous | Next >