Amande de mer

< Previous | Next >

maddief24

English, Pennsylvania, United States
Does anyone know what this is in English? It looks like a small clam but every time I tried to call it a "palourde", they looked at me as if I was calling a dog a cat. :eek:)

• maddief24 said:
    It looks like a small clam but every time I tried to call it a "palourde", they looked at me as if I was calling a dog a cat. :eek:)
    Bonnjour Maddie .........
    A Small Clam ?certainly not !?It's bigger (for me ) twice bigger as .They usually are brown , shiny ....you'll have a look there----------------------------------------------------------------------------------->http://www.univ-lehavre.fr/cybernat/pages/glycglyc.htm

KirstyWeston

UK English
    I realise that this post is nearly ten years old (!) but as I've just been looking for this too, thought I would note here that, according to Wikipedia, the translation is 'dog cockle'.

iuytr

french
    My pleasure, I find the FAO work very good (english, spanish, french, latin) and specially useful for seafood. In french (and i guess this the same in other langages), a species can have a different vernacular name if you go a few miles away. In some contries (Spain) where people are seafoood afficionados, they distinguish four or five species when in France we have the same common name. A clam in english can be anything ! And what about the subtleties between prawns and shrimps in BE or AE ! Very difficult translations.

< Previous | Next >