Amannn

Volcano

Turkey-Turkish
Do you have this word in greek? I think I heard in a song.It means in turkish:

I can't be bothered with it, I don't care it, what's that to me...

• ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    Yyyes, I think so. That is, I think we are talking about the same word. We have the word "αμάν" (aman) but in Greek it means "woe to me", "oh God what happened". It's an expression of distress.
    e.g. "Aman, I forgot my keys and now I'm locked out". "Aman! You are driving me crazy!"

emboscada

greek
    Yes it is a very common word here. I checked in the dictionary, it is an exclamation and depending on the sentence it can denote several things: a)begging for help(aman, stop hitting me!)
    b)sorrow(aman, what have i done?)
    c)compassion(aman, look what happened to him!)
    d)dissaproval(aman, stop behaving like that!)
    e)indignation(aman, i can't stand this anymore!)
    f)admiration(aman, what a goal was that?)

Last edited:

Volcano

Turkey-Turkish
    Yes, it has also that meanings.I just wrote this ones.So, we have the same word, but you don't have the meaning I wrote ?

For example:

-Won't you clean the windows?

-Amannn, I am tired

winegrower

No, you would not use aman when you are too tired/ bored to do something.

Well, I wouldn't be so sure about that. I mean if you "stretch it' a little, it could also include boredom and similar emotional states. For instance, aman, let go of me/leave me alone now/I am not in he mood ..
    At least in Northern Greece we use it in this sense.

rwmulos

greek
    Well, I wouldn't be so sure about that. I mean if you "stretch it' a little, it could also include boredom and similar emotional states. For instance, aman, let go of me/leave me alone now/I am not in he mood ..
    At least in Northern Greece we use it in this sense.

I agree with winegrower. "Aman" its an interjection that is related with indignation which is caused by varied reasons.

αμάν interj. oh, oh boy, oh dear!

There is no doubt that we share the same word, as we do with so many others. [just type "greek turkish words" in google and check "phrasebase dot com...."]