amante de la cocina

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by marcyana, Oct 3, 2012.

1. marcyana Member

A Coruña, Spain
    Spanish - Spain
    Hello everyone,
    I need to express the concept of "amante de la cocina", referring to a person who is keen on cooking, trying out new recipes, etc. I have done some "research" and I've found the expression "food lover" but, to me, as a Spanish speaking person, this sounds as if you're talking about a person who loves eating! Could it be "cuisine lover"? Thank you very much.

2. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Someone who loves to cook para eliminar cualquier ambigüedad. "Cuisine lover" también se puede entender como amante de la comida.

3. mijoch Banned

British English
    keen on cooking

4. CHILEGRINGO

CHILEGRINGO Senior Member

Santiago,Chile
    English-England
    I would agree with aztlaniano "someone who loves to cook" and also "someone who loves cooking"

5. txpaddler

txpaddler Senior Member

Texas
    United States - English
    Home chef, perhaps. This implies that the person does more than just prepare the household meals, but does so with skill, gusto, and experimentation.

6. mijoch Banned

British English
    I see now that "keen on cooking" appears in the OP.

This is now a widely used catch-phrase. From this, the nominal form is used "keen cook"

7. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Yes, those are both good and unambiguous. I don't know how I overlooked the "keen on cooking".