amaze and surprise

< Previous | Next >
  • Bb Kelvin

Mandarin-Chinese
    1.When somebody gives me a surprise( somebody secretly gives me a present) ... At this context ... I know I should say you surprise me ... But i can also say you amaze me? (yes or no)?

2. We secretly celebrate someone's birthday ... Someone say This is a (amazing or surprising)?

3.“ surprised ”and “ amazed ” Can you tell me they are different
    i mean about usage

lingobingo

English - England
    Yes, you could use either.

Surprise is a very common verb (and noun), which can express someone’s reaction to anything unexpected, whether it’s good or bad.

Amaze is a stronger alternative. Stronger still are word such as astonish and astound.

HereAI

Chinese
    surprise is suddenly to do something, giving something to somebody who does not predict/expect/guess/ it.

amaze just a normal reaction .

that is my understanding

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The word "surprise" usually has a time limit. You learn about something unexpected, and are surprised.
    But the other words have no time limit.

I am still amazed at her loyalty, after ten years.
    The Grand Pyramid is truly amazing; it is astonishing; it is remarkable; it is astounding; it is unique. You must go see it!

(cross-posted)

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Hello, HereAI. Welcome to the forum!

I agree with your post -- we were writing at the same time (cross-posting)

Bb Kelvin

Mandarin-Chinese
    Yes, you could use either.

Surprise is a very common verb (and noun), which can express someone’s reaction to anything unexpected, whether it’s good or bad.

Amaze is a stronger alternative. Stronger still are word such as astonish and astound.
    Hello, HereAI. Welcome to the forum!

I agree with your post -- we were writing at the same time (cross-posting)
    OMG i just get a new knowledge,amaze usage is the same as amazing and amazed?i mean using context the same?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bb Kelvin

Mandarin-Chinese
    I just got a knowledge Actually “amaze” usage is the same as amazing and amazed
    “surprise” usage is the same as surprising and surprised?i mean their using context

Myridon

English - US
    You are amazed by something that is very good. It can sometimes mean that something is better than you expected it to be. You are surprised by how good it is. You are not just surprised.

bwac14

English - United States
    I think you meant to say that you have a question, not a knowledge.

The usage is not the same but they are used in the same situation.

If something amazes you, it is amazing, and you are amazed.

If something surprises you, it is surprising, and you are surprised.

lingobingo

English - England
    surprise / amaze (verb)
    surprise / amazement (noun)
    surprising / amazing (present participle)
    surprised / amazed (past participle)

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    surprise is suddenly to do something, giving something to somebody who does not predict/expect/guess/ it.

amaze just a normal reaction .

that is my understanding
    I'll add a few examples here of the neutral or even negative meanings of forms of 'surprise':
    'We surprised the enemy forces when they were unprepared and defeated them easily.' In this case, the enemy forces were not happy to be surprised, and we didn't cheerfully prepare our attack as though it were a birthday party.

'It came as a surprise to Emma that her boyfriend was seeing another woman, even though everyone around her had suspected it already.'
    Emma suddenly realized what is going on, but she's not at all happy about it.

'It's no surprise to me that you failed the course; you failed all the exams and didn't do the homework.'
    Your failing the course was not at all unexpected.

In their positive senses, the various grammatical forms of 'amaze' are different (as I use them) from the various grammatical forms of 'surprise.' 'Surprised' has an element of being startled that 'amazed' doesn't have. One can be amazed at some kind of new technology, a magic trick, or the beauty of a swirling flock of birds but not necessarily startled by them.

Bb Kelvin

Mandarin-Chinese
    I think you meant to say that you have a question, not a knowledge.

The usage is not the same but they are used in the same situation.

If something amazes you, it is amazing, and you are amazed.

If something surprises you, it is surprising, and you are surprised.
    thanks you so much✘100

< Previous | Next >