amazement v. astonishment v. surprise v. surprising.

< Previous | Next >

hhtt

Turkish
Thus you can imagine my amazement, at sunrise, when I was awakened by an odd little voice. This is the original.

Which of the followings has the same meanings as the original, are idiomatic?

1) Thus you can imagine my astonishment, at sunrise, when I was awakened by an odd little voice.

2) Thus you can imagine my surprise, at sunrise, when I was awakened by an odd little voice.

3) Thus you can imagine my surprising, at sunrise, when I was awakened by an odd little voice.

Source: Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • hhtt

Turkish
    1 and 2 are correct (except for the spelling mistake in surprise).

3 is wrong. Surprising is an adjective; it was the odd little voice that was surprising.
    Is there any difference between astonishment and amazement? Which of them is stronger or more intense feel and has stronger or more intense meaning?

Thank you.

hhtt

Turkish
    4) Thus you can imagine my astonish, at sunrise, when I was awakened by an odd little voice

5) Thus you can imagine my amaze, at sunrise, when I was awakened by an odd little voice

What do you think about these nouns in the verb form at the same time?

What would be the difference of them from their form with -ment suffix? Would they be confusing because of verb form so is the other style is better?

Thank you.

dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    Note the word archaic. You can use amaze in its archaic form if you choose but be prepared to explain at the same time that you're using an archaic form. Otherwise you will be assumed to be wrong.

< Previous | Next >