AmE equivalent of crèche

TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
Hello everyone.
I was wondering about the American English equivalent of the word "crèche" with its following meaning:
- a place where babies and small children are taken care of while their parents are working, studying, shopping, etc.
(Taken from: creche noun - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage notes | Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com)

Example sentence: Younger children can be left in the crèche while their parents are doing the shopping.

Is "day nursery" a good equivalent even when such a place is located in a supermarket/mall?

Thanks in advance.

• Myridon

English - US
    I would call something in a supermarket or mall a play area, or children's play area, or kids' play area.
    In the US, children are not supervised ("taken care of" as specified in the OP) in a play area. The parents must watch them which doesn't allow them to shop.
    A place that takes care of children is generally called a day care center. In some cases, such as taking care of children during church services, it might still be called a nursery. I haven't heard the term "day nursery."

Copyright

American English
    Thank you. I was thinking of decades ago when there was someone to keep an eye on the kids.

Last edited:

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    To my knowledge, such places do not commonly exist in malls in the US. They certainly do not exist in American supermarkets.
    One of the supermarkets here does. Or at least, used to -- while it's the most convenient of the five stores in the area, it's also the most expensive, so I very rarely go there. :D

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    What about in a church? We often talk about crèches in that context, and I assume in America there will be people keeping an eye on the children. What are they called in the US?

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    What about in a church? We often talk about crèches in that context, and I assume in America there will be people keeping an eye on the children. What are they called in the US?
    You assume incorrectly, at least as far as US Catholics are concerned -- unless you mean that the people who will be keeping an eye on the children are their parents, and that they will keep an eye on them in the church itself during the service, as Baby wails loudly in the middle of the Mass.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    OK, I'm thinking of Protestant services. The children are too young for Sunday School. The arrangement is for babies and toddlers to be in a room or area with a few adults in charge while the parents attend the service. WyomingSue appears to be familiar with the arrangement and has a name for it. (Thanks, Sue!)

< Previous | Next >