amenable

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2017/04/coldly-transactional-china-policy

Quotation: Alas for President Trump, he is now discovering that he cannot walk away from China any more than China can abandon him. When haggling over a skyscraper, it really is possible to abandon a bad deal: there is always another building to buy down the road. But there is not another China down the road, one more amenable that the one led by Mr Xi. The Middle East does not go away when ignored. North Korea does not become less menacing for being snubbed.
===
Hi everyone! Does "amenable" mean "responsible'?

• Irelia20150604

Chinese
    Certainly I consulted dictionaries at first.

1. ready or willing to answer, act, agree, or yield:The author was amenable to making a few changes.
    2. liable to be called to account;
      answerable;
      responsible:All citizens are amenable to the law.

I chose 2 and I'm unfamiliar with the word. It would not come as much a surprise that my choice is wrong. If I was certain, the post would not be posted.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It's this meaning:
    ready or willing to answer, act, agree, or yield:
    President Trump would like to find a China that was more willing to agree, or to yield to his demands.
    Unfortunately, there is not another China, so President Trump will have to figure out a way to get along with the China that there is.

< Previous | Next >