For example You are in a restaurant and there is no place to sit:

How do Americans say it?

"Let's go somewhere else, There is no place"
"Let's go somewhere else, There is no space"
"It's full, Let's go somewhere else."

Thanks

• Kelly B

USA English
    It's full, yes, or there are no tables, or there are no seats.
    In a restaurant I'd almost certainly refer to tables; I'd only mention seats in a place like a theater or bar, where a table isn't an issue.
    If I were planning to stand somewhere (seats aren't an issue) but it's too crowded even for that, I'd most likely say there's no room, where room really means space.

Alby84

American English
    Let's go somewhere else, there's no place to sit sounds ok, but the sentence sounds odd as is. The other two are fine, but you wouldn't capitalize the letters after the commas.

Embonpoint

English--American
    I think "there is no place to sit" is great too.
    There are a lot of things you can say. "There's no room," for example.
    Overall, i would say the most common expression in AE would be "it's full."

Chazz

Dutch
    It's full, yes, or there are no tables, or there are no seats.
    In a restaurant I'd almost certainly refer to tables; I'd only mention seats in a place like a theater or bar, where a table isn't an issue.
    If I were planning to stand somewhere (seats aren't an issue) but it's too crowded even for that, I'd most likely say there's no room, where room really means space.
    Hi,

Now that you mention "seats" and "tables"

I Often hear Americans refer to tables as 'seats' in restaurants. I recently heard "There are not many seats in this Mcdonalds" Which to me sounds like they are referring to a table?

Is it common in AE?

Embonpoint

English--American
    The seats are the chairs around the tables, or at a bar. Personally, in the case of a restaurant, I would say there aren't any empty tables, or possibly there's nowhere to sit.

In a restaurant with tables, there aren't any seats is a bit odd as it raises the question of whether there are empty tables but someone has taken the chairs. If it's McDonald's or a place where you're sitting on barstools, it makes sense to say there aren't any seats as you mean there aren't any seats at the bar.
    In a cinema I would say there aren't any empty seats.

You can also leave off empty, as it's understood.

< Previous | Next >