American expression for "up for a prank"?

strabo

English
Hi, I'm looking for a specifically US expression which means something like "up for a prank", "up for a jape" - the idea is someone who is ready to do something a bit silly or outrageous. Not quite "life and soul of the party", Blutarsky-style, rather the sort of person who looks sensible and sober but would spike the punch if you dared them.

Is there even something close? I am a UK speaker and everything I can think of sounds terribly PG Wodehouse (prank, jape, lark etc) and a bit old-fashioned.

Thanks v much! (This is a shortened form of "Thanks very much!")

S

Last edited:
  • strabo

English
    yes, all nice. What sort of resonance does "joker" have? Would "he's a real joker" have any negative connotations (obviously it could be said ironically as well!)

Copyright

American English
    I think joker is all right. We wouldn't know if that were practical or verbal, but it wouldn't matter too much. It could be used negatively, but you would know that from the situation:
    Man: Where's Frank these days?
    Ex-wife: That joker? Who cares.

But He's a real joker could be affectionate in a boys-will-be-boys kind of way.

strabo

English
    Yes, the sentiment in your first example was at the back of my mind, in a kind of black-and-white-film-tough-guy way ("dose jokers, why I oughtta...") but I wasn't sure if it could be positive, which is how I need it - boys-will-be-boys is exactly the slightly indulgent attitude I am looking to represent, I think we have a winner!! Thanks v much!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >