American Football - a hit & got trucked



I was watching a movie about football and saw a guy running with the ball through the field and getting shoved down by two guys.
Two audience said then said...

-That was a freakin' awesome hit.
-That guy got trucked.

I wonder what that means, did he scored or got beaten down by the two guys?

Thank you
  • Fabulist

    American English
    If the player was carrying the ball, then he was tackled, even if no one from the other team wrapped his arms around him or grabbed him with his hands. In U.S. football, a player has been tackled if one knee touches the ground as a result of contact with another player. An official blows a whistle, the player carrying the ball must then stop moving, and the "play"—all the motion of the 22 players on the 2 teams—ceases.

    It is permissible to create this situation—also called "down by contact"—by merely colliding with the ball carrier, rather than grabbing hold of him and dragging him to the ground. One way to do that is with a "freakin' awesome hit," that is, a severe, high-speed collision that disorients the ball carrier and prevents him from keeping both knees off the ground.

    As Dale says, he might appear to have been hit by a truck, and therefore have "gotten trucked." "Truck" is not a standard English verb for "to hit or run over with a truck," but English is flexible enough to allow informal creations of this type. "Mack" is (or used to be) a manufacturer of large trucks, and sometimes people at least used to say "hit by a Mack truck" as a metaphor—"he looked like he had been hit by a Mack truck." I don't think I've ever heard it, but I can imagine someone wanting to go one better than "he got trucked" saying "he got Macked."

    You probably shouldn't try to invent new words of this type yourself, but I hope this little dissertation will help you understand them if you encounter them in the future, as well as help you understand a little about U.S. football.
    < Previous | Next >