American jackoff [jack off]

Panupat

Thai
From King's Under the Dome. The main character was reflecting back to a time he spent in Iraq.
From searching, jack off seems to mean masturbate. But why American? Do these 2 together mean he's gesturing something to insult the US? What kind of gesture would that be?

The rug-merchant wore a yellow tee-shirt that had said DON’T SHOOT ME, I’M ONLY THE PIANO PLAYER. Latif listened to him, nodding. They laughed together. Then the merchant had made a startlingly American jackoff gesture and they laughed even harder.

• Panupat

Thai
    Oh I see. So it's not a US way of doing, but rather it's the act itself that the POV thought only American would do in public?

kentix

English - U.S.
    Different cultures use different gestures to mean the same sort of thing. A thumbs-up means one thing in the U.S. and something else in some other countries.

I think the gesture he is referring to is not the fact that the gesture meant that idea, but it's the fact that he used the American gesture that means that (as opposed to the way another culture might gesture that meaning).

The speaker didn't expect him to know that gesture but maybe he learned it from a movie, perhaps.

< Previous | Next >