America's cup and sailing terminology

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
USA, English

The latest America's Cup racing competition allowed catamaran hulls and air foil "sails" (which would be more accurately called "wings"). The tall main sail had a fabric covered structure that did not capture the wind but rather behaved like a aircraft's wing. It allowed the boats to travel faster than the wind that was driving them.



Should these be called "wing" boats?
  • Egmont

    Senior Member
    English - U.S.
    I suppose they could be, but nobody calls them that. The term "sailboat" for a vessel smaller than a ship and powered by wind is well established. It exists, today, independently of the two words from which it was originally derived.
    < Previous | Next >