among other elderly people

< Previous | Next >

LQZ

Mandarin
Since there are not as many gaps to close among other elderly people as there are living with younger family members, it will be easier for them to find someone to relive their golden times with, and to chat with, as well as to live comfortably and enjoyably. (the Previous Thread)

Dear all,

My question is, if I leave out the other, can the above remain the same meaning? If not, could you please explain why to me? Thanks.

LQZ

• Aidanriley

English
    Since there are not as many gaps to close among other elderly people as there are living with younger family members, it will be easier for them to find someone to relivetheir golden times with, and to chat with, as well as to live comfortably and enjoyably. (the Previous Thread)

Dear all,

My question is, if I leave out the other, can the above remain the same meaning? If not, could you please explain why to me? Thanks.

LQZ
    If the subject (them) is also "elderly people," and your sentence means
    Since there are not as many gaps to close while living among other elderly people
    if you were to omit "other" it would sound to me like the subject isn't "elderly."

Example:
    I don't like living with elderly people, they talk a lot.
    I would most likely interpret this sentence to mean that the speaker is young (or at least not old); it's possible that the speaker is elderly and talks about "elderly people" like that but it would be to distinguish him or herself from the stereotypical "elderly" person.

< Previous | Next >