among the bald of hell

• Bilit

french
    Please post the line here, along with up to three more lines for context.
    Thank you Floreentia, here is the complete poem:

We shall not ever meet them bearded in heaven
    Nor sunning themselves among the bald of hell;
    If anywhere, in the deserted schoolyard at twilight,
    forming a ring, perhaps, or joining hands
    <-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited by a moderator:

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    It is parallel to bearded in heaven. They will not have the signs of old age --- a beard, baldness when/if the poet meets them in the afterlife.

The rest of the poem explains that they remain at the age at which they died.

Bilit

french
    It is parallel to bearded in heaven. They will not have the signs of old age --- a beard, baldness when/if the poet meets them in the afterlife.

The rest of the poem explains that they remain at the age at which they died.
    Thank you very much exgerman for your help. Yes, I understood the parallel. I also understand "We shall not ever meet them bearded in heaven" in the sense that they will not die old... We could replace "bearded" by "old" and it mkes sense.
    But "among the bald of hell"... If we replace "bald" by "beardless" or by "young" what sense does it give to the poem.. "bearded IN heaven" it's clear that it is about the people who die old and who arrive in heaven with a beard, symbol of age... But "bald OF hell" (not IN hell).. Does that mean that demons are bald ? I am confused....

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think the poet used "among the bald of hell" to fill up the line. Most of the dead in heaven and in hell will be old people (the poet seems to think they will all be male).

The meaning is as exgerman says: these friends will not be met with after death as old men, either in heaven or in hell.

< Previous | Next >