amongst the fellow attacking prowess

Laaa

Italian-Italy
Hi everybody!

I hav doubts in translating the following sentence:

Securing a move from Marseille to Bayern Munich in 2007, amongst the fellow attacking prowess, Ribery has flourished into a player that all the top clubs are vying for.

What's the meaning of "amongst the fellow attacking prowess"? Whose prowess is it? Ribery or his fellow players?

Thank you very much

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    That is a very peculiar expression.
    I assume that it is a mistake.
    Can you tell us more about the source and perhaps post a few more sentences (up to the maximum of four)?

Spira

Banned
    UK English
    Panjandrum is correct, the subordinate phrase as it is quoted above makes no sense at all. Take out that phrase and the sentence makes sense.

Should it be: "surrounded by the prowess of his (new) fellow attackers" ??

Laaa

Italian-Italy
    Hi,

I know that "surrounded by the prowess of his (new) fellow attackers" does not make sense, but I do not get the meaning of the sentence.

"the one real hope is Franck Ribery. Following a dynamic showing at the 2006 World Cup, the diminutive midfielder is often the player that provides the pace, spark and creativity. Securing a move from Marseille to Bayern Munich in 2007, amongst the fellow attacking prowess, Ribery has flourished into a player that all the top clubs are vying for."

Since the sentence does not make sense even according to a native speaker, I can modify it and give it a sense in the target language.

Spira

Banned
    UK English
    Actually, "surrounded by the prowess of his (new) fellow attackers" DOES make sense.

Would you feel happier if we wrote: "Securing a move from Marseille to Bayern Munich in 2007, now surrounded by the prowess of his fellow attackers, Ribery has flourished into a player for whom all the top clubs are vying."

< Previous | Next >