amortir les tensions

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by KirstyWeston, May 6, 2018.

1. KirstyWeston Senior Member

Gard, France
    UK English
    I'm not sure whether, in this context (cables for mobile phones etc), "amortir les tensions" means simply "relieve the tension" or something more technical. Can anyone more technologically minded than me confirm or correct please? Here's the sentence:

Le connecteur en platique souple permet d'amortir les tensions ce qui augmente la durée de vie du câble.

Thanks!

2. jetset

jetset Senior Member

France\Nice
    French
    To prevent/reduce the wear and tear of the cord.

3. KirstyWeston Senior Member

Gard, France
    UK English
    Thanks for replying so quickly both. That confirms my interpretation, though your wording is much better, jetset, thanks! (I think I doubted my understanding when I saw Google translate's proposed 'dampen voltages'!)

4. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    In my opinion, jetset's suggestion does not translate « permet d'amortir les tensions ».
    I'd translate it back to French as : pour prévenir l'usure prématurée du câble (and that would be an adapt' of the second part).

Termium suggests strain relief to translate réducteur de tension, with that definition :
    Here's a link to one of many articles on the subject : What is a strain relief?

I understand that said "soft plastic connector" serves as a strain relief to help prevent wear and tear, thus extending the service life of the cord.

This is not a translation. Just my non native interpretation.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  5. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Or at worst case to relieve stress (or strain) on the cord.

Strain is in fact a technical term meaning the ratio of deformation to length, but I think maybe it's misused in the English set phrase strain relief; stress is force per area, and that's really what a strain relief reduces/relieves.

Last edited: May 7, 2018