amount of vs amounts of

• Copyright

American English
    I wouldn't use "amount" at all with vocabulary. We can talking about "increasing your vocabulary" or adding "a large number of words to your vocabulary." I'm sure there are other ways to say it, as well.

Copyright

American English
    'You can acquire large amounts ' sounds odd it is an incorrect form while we are using you singular verb is used so
    You can acquire large amount of vocabulary
    The subject "you" has nothing to do with what comes after it, as "You can acquire large amounts of money by playing the stock market – or you can lose your shirt."

And you're missing an article. You need an "a," for example: "You can acquire a large amount of money by playing the stock market."

But I'll repeat my advice: don't use "amount" with "vocabulary."

Prince Sadh

India - Hindi & English
    The subject "you" has nothing to do with what comes after it, as "You can acquire large amounts of money by playing the stock market – or you can lose your shirt."

And you're missing an article. You need an "a," for example: "You can acquire a large amount of money by playing the stock market."

But I'll repeat my advice: don't use "amount" with "vocabulary."
    Ohh sorry it was my mistake i didn't see that
    Lets take an another example
    There are large amount of people in the country
    Or
    There are large amounts of people in the country
    I think amounts is incorrect in the sentence then we can prefer amount in vocabulary also

Copyright

American English
    Ohh sorry it was my mistake i didn't see that
    Lets take an another example
    There are large amount of people in the country
    Or
    There are large amounts of people in the country
    I think amounts is incorrect in the sentence then we can prefer amount in vocabulary also
    Some of us, especially me, don’t use “amount” with countable nouns – and people are definitely countable.

Even if we did, if you use “There are large amount of people in the country,” you need a singular verb and an article: “There is a large amount of people in the country.”

But again, I don’t use “amount” in this context: “There is a large number of people in the country.”

As for “There are large amounts of people in the country,” how do you see that as different from “a large amount”?

Prince Sadh

India - Hindi & English
    Actually, i have got little confused,.i think it depends on context that which form should be used

< Previous | Next >