ample cushioned easy-chair

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Irelia20150604, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Irelia20150604

Irelia20150604 Senior Member

China Shanghai
    Chinese
    The context below comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 2

The red-room was a square chamber, very seldom slept in, I might say never, indeed, unless when a chance influx of visitors at Gateshead Hall rendered it necessary to turn to account all the accommodation it contained: yet it was one of the largest and stateliest chambers in the mansion. A bed supported on massive pillars of mahogany, hung with curtains of deep red damask, stood out like a tabernacle in the centre; the two large windows, with their blinds always drawn down, were half shrouded in festoons and falls of similar drapery; the carpet was red; the table at the foot of the bed was covered with a crimson cloth; the walls were a soft fawn colour with a blush of pink in it; the wardrobe, the toilet-table, the chairs were of darkly polished old mahogany. Out of these deep surrounding shades rose high, and glared white, the piled-up mattresses and pillows of the bed, spread with a snowy Marseilles counterpane. Scarcely less prominent was an ample cushioned easy-chair near the head of the bed, also white, with a footstool before it; and looking, as I thought, like a pale throne.
    ===
    Hi everyone! I'm not sure about the meaning of the bold part. Referring the thread, I interpret it as "a spacious easy-chair with cushions/a cushion (padding)". Is it correct?

2. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Hi Irelia - I don't think "ample" refers to the size of the chair, but rather to the cushions. It's a chair with ample cushioning. Either many pillows or thick padding or both.

3. Irelia20150604

China Shanghai
    Chinese
    Yes, I agree "ample" is more likely to modify "cushioned". But if so, should it has been written as "amply cushioned" ? :confused:

4. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Good question. But I think if "ample" referred to the size of the chair, there might be a comma between "ample" and "cushioned."
    ......an ample, cushioned easy-chair.......

So I'll stick to my interpretation :) ("amply cushioned").

5. Irelia20150604

China Shanghai
    Chinese
    Yeah, thanks.

I get it. :D

6. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London but from Yorkshire
    English - England
    If it had been punctuated ample-cushioned easy-chair with a (nother) hyphen, it would (to the modern eye) have been clear that the cushions were ample, not the chair.