An absence of congenial companionship

panzerfaust0

mandarin
Hello. I am reading a piece on gifted children and how, most of the time, teachers and educators fail to respond to their unique educational, social, and emotional needs. One thing the author emphasized is that especially gifted students might experience social isolation due to having little common ground with children their age. He/she said: "these gifted children might attempt to deny their interests, values, and indeed their very nature. When they find that that doesn't work, they will become social isolates, preferring their own company, in which they can at least be honest with themselves about themselves, to the company of children with whom they have virtually nothing in common. This social isolation results from an absence of congenial companionship." Slightly paraphrased.

I want to translate "congenial companionship". I think, "合他们脾胃的朋友的友情". The definition I found online seems quite lacking. They mostly define "congenial" as pleasant, agreeable, and similar, which is not wrong but I feel is inadequate. The best definition I have found was that from the Merriam Webster definition. It says, " agreeably suited to one's nature, tastes, or outlook", which I think is captured aptly by "合....脾胃".

What do you think?

• Ghabi

AL/OL/Ar/Zh mod
    Cantonese
    合脾胃 sounds a bit Hannibal Lecter to me (I'm not judging!). I suppose people usually say things like 志同道合/意氣相投 etc. in this kind of context?

Jack12345

Chinese
    From the context, the meaning of 情投意合 is as similar as congenial. Or 相处愉快的, 能玩到一起的, etc..
    臭味相投 xiù wèi xiāng tóu, is also as similar as it.

In spoken Chinese, 合胃口 has also a similar meaning. e.g. 这个人做事大气,合我的胃口(我喜欢). (一般不说 '合脾胃')

Last edited:

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    When they find that that doesn't work, they will become social isolates, preferring their own company, in which they can at least be honest with themselves about themselves, to the company of children with whom they have virtually nothing in common. This social isolation results from an absence of congenial companionship.
    當他們發現這樣做沒用,他們就會變成社會上孤立的那一群,喜歡自己一個人待著,因為一個人時他們至少可以對自己誠實,不必戴面具。獨處對他們而言,比和跟他們幾乎沒有共同點的孩子相處要來得好。這種在社會的孤立狀態,源自於缺乏意趣相投的人的陪伴

< Previous | Next >