an abstract title

< Previous | Next >

word_up

"Relation between social network, treatment results and subjective quality of life in persons suffering from schizophrenia 20 years after first hospitalization."

My main concerns regard the use of the bold "in". Is this allright or "of" would be better? (I use in so that "persons...schizophrenia" relate to the whole "relation..... life"phrase, whereas "of" in my understanding would relate only to "social network, treatment results and subjective quality of life" but not the relation between them). Is this title correctly worded then?

• Eigenfunction

England - English
    Relation should be as it is. Relationship is not the right word in this context. Social network is OK without an article. It should be noted that it isn't a sentence, it's a title.

Edit: Also, the conventions followed in the title are perhaps more scientific than English. "Relation between [variable x], [variable y] and [variable z] in [situation abc]". [variable x] is 'social network' and we aren't going to start fiddling with our variable names just to make the title more poetic, nor will a name take an article.

word_up

Thank you all!

The problem is the title is repeated as the first sentence (with a verb added) in the abstract, and it looks like this (inserted articles):

An analysis of the relation between the social network, selected treatment outcomes and the subjective quality of life of persons suffering from schizophrenia 20 years after first psychiatric hospitalization was performed.

Are these articles correct, or they should be dropped, as the comment of Eigen says?

Eigenfunction

England - English
    The first article (the relation) is compulsory. I would say that the other two are optional, although keeping them in helps the sentence to flow better.

< Previous | Next >